UK UFO Cases : Dorset Flying Cross

Dorset Flying Cross UFO

The Autumn of 1967 saw a new wave of UFO sightings across the United Kingdom and coincided with the mysterious Mothman sightings across the Atlantic. Amongst reports of the usual saucer and cigar shape craft there were also witnesses to lampshade and cross shaped UFOs. One of the best documented is by former RAF officer “Angus” Brooks.

While walking his dogs in strong winds during late morning of 26 October 1967 at Moigne Downs in Dorset, Brooks witnessed a contrail and then an object descending at phenomenal speed. It abruptly levelled out at a height of approximately 250 feet, some quarter of a mile from where he had settled down into an indentation in the hillside to shelter from the winds.

Brooks described the object as a central circular body with a leading fuselage in the front and three separate fuselages at the rear. As he watched the three rear fuselages moved so that with the fourth fuselage they formed a cross shape. Brooks reported no obvious power units or noise and despite very strong Force 8 gales, the object apparently maintained this position for over twenty minutes.

During the encounter Angus Brooks' Alsatian, returned to his side showing signs of distress and refusing his commands to sit. Brooks noted that on future walks in the vicinity, his dog appeared very nervous. The animal died of “acute cystitis” (a disorder of the urinary bladder) about six weeks later at the age of 12. He was also accompanied by his 4 year old Dalmatian who appeared unaffected by the incident.

Brooks said the UFO was made of a translucent material. Dark shadows were dotted along the bottoms of the fuselages and centre chamber. Nose cones and groove fins were seen along the bases of the fuselages.
The centre chamber was an estimated 25 feet in diameter and 12 feet high. The fuselages he estimated to be about 75 ft. long, 7 ft. high and 8 ft. wide. The UFO seemed like it was hovering somewhere between the Winfrith Atomic Station and Portland Underwater Defence Station and about a mile inland from the USAF Communications Unit at Ringstead Bay. At 11:47 a.m., the craft flew to the east-northeast and disappeared.

A team of researchers from the Ministry of Defence interviewed Mr Brooks and offered their explanation:

He had seen a vitreous floater in the fluid of his eyeball. The sighting had appeared dramatic due to Brooks entering a dream like state as he sheltered from the wind. They attributed the behaviour of his Alsatian to the dog finding Brooks in a trance. This was followed by a confirmation that radar cover detected nothing of note and, what has now become a standard disclaimer, about the MoD being open minded but, having no evidence to confirm the existence of extra-terrestrials.

Brooks was not impressed with the MOD's explanation and wrote a response to their report. He refuted the conclusions and stated that he had previously had no intention to become involved in the UFO topic but had become “interested enough to be doing some think tank work on this”.

As a footnote, Malcolm Williams an ophthalmic optician from London wrote in to FSR (V14 No 6) and claimed that a floater would not remain stationery for 20 minutes. He felt that the MoD would use this as a popular alibi and advised readers to close one eye then the other to eliminate any possibility of the floater excuse being used in the future!

Continue Reading »